Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 1 :)

Today marks exactly one week since I got the Implanon.

So far the actual insertion site is a-okay. I only have a very faint bruise and faded markings from the insertion and band-aid. I've gotten in the habit of poking it when I'm bored :D

I have not been moody...no weight gain to speak of...and I haven't turned green or anything. I have gotten more migraines since my last post :( I've had three this week....as opposed to zero in 3 months. While this worries me a little, I'm still holding out hope. My (uneducated) guess is that it's an enormous rush of hormones in my system. But what do I know? 

As far as the hair situation, I have good news! Ladies, pay attention!!

I went to have my hair cut a few days ago. While I was there, I asked my stylist if Mane & Tail shampoo actually makes your hair grow. Her answer? "Stop using it!"
She explained that while it does make your hair grow a little, it has WAY too much protein for normal hair. It dries your hair out alot, causing it to break off and fall out. Interesting.

I've been using Mane & Tail as long since I got the Depo shot.
So that piece of advice put my hair fears to rest. While hair loss is listed as a side effect, I don't believe Implanon is the reason for my hair loss. Especially since it has only been one week.

Despite the migraines, I'm still feeling optimistic about this birth control. I am due for my period next week, so I'll see how that part of it works out...

Until next time :)

5 comments:

  1. Im a cosmetologist and was actually going to post on your last entry that mane and tail shampoo had too much protein. I just started reading (saw your link in Kim's blog) Im considering the implant but nervous about the effects. Im in a long distance relationship and I dont want to be in a mood all the time on the phone or the few times I see im in person, or on my period even though he doesnt care about blood, its more or so me who hates the blood lol. As well as I DO NOT want a lowered sex drive. I rarely see him as is, I dont want to be all like dont touch me when I do see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Kayci! I think the effects are going to be different for every woman, but for me personally, I have had little if any. It's been only a week, but the only major concern so far is the migraines.

    Im not due for my period yet, but I'll definitely post if there is anything unusual about my cycle.

    As far as sex drive...I'm not entirely sure if it has effected me. My fiancé and I are virgins, so im relatively ignorant in the procreation department. I suppose I'll let the blogger world know after the wedding. :

    Every woman is different, but I just had to take the plunge to find out how it effects me. :) Thanks again for reading and I hope all of this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, everyone has had so many different reactions and the fact that im not sure what mine will be is what makes me nervous about getting it. As far as actually going through and getting the implant, I probably will. I might consider blogging as well, just not sure.
    I hope your migraines go away or at least get down to very few.
    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw i created my own blog, check it out and tell me what you think :)
    http://neonramblings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I'm glad to hear that your mind is laid to rest about your hair! I still eye ball my hair line and try to make a mental note of how it looks and how thick it feels, but honestly I haven't noticed it change at all. The biggest places you would notice it would be in the shower drain and your hair brush. I don't really need to clean out my shower drain often, so that also has put my mind to rest!

    ReplyDelete